My name is Virginia Garófano-Gómez. I am currently associate research member of GEOLAB – Laboratory of Physical Geography and Environment (CNRS/Université Clermont Auvergne, France) and IGIC – Research Institute for Integrated Management of Coastal Areas (Universitat Politècnica de València, Spain).
My research is primarily focused on plant ecology and biogeomorphology, with special emphasis on the interactions between riparian species and hydrogeomorphic processes.
In 2013 I defended my PhD with international mention, entitled “Riparian vegetation patterns according to hydrogeomorphological factors at different spatial and temporal scales in Mediterranean rivers”, at the Department of Hydraulic Engineering and Environment of the Universitat Politècnica de València. My PhD research integrated fieldwork (flora inventories and vegetation mapping at different scales), habitat quality assessments, hydraulic modelling and spatial data analysis. After the end of my PhD I was working on spatial analysis of land use/land cover changes using geographic information systems and R software.
I have been postdoctoral researcher at the Laboratory of Physical Geography and Environment (GEOLAB), in collaboration with INRA-PIAF in Clermont Ferrand (France). My research project, entitled PopTrait, has allowed me to expand my research to the study of the fascinating world of plant traits by means of a semi-controlled ex situ experiment focused on the anatomical, morphological and biomechanical response of black poplar (Populus nigra L.) to hydrogeomorphic constraints.
Complementary, I am carrying out several collaborations related to riparian vegetation succession in different river systems, riparian invasive species, recruitment strategies of pioneer riparian plants and dendroclimatology.
I have done research stays at the University of Córdoba (Córdoba, Spain), BOKU (Viena, Austria), Queen Mary College (London, UK) and University of Trento (Trento, Italy).
I have been lecturer in River Restoration and Rehabilitation at the Universitat Politècnica de València (Spain) in 2007 and 2011. I have also been lecturer in different courses organized by the Centro de Formación Permanente UPV. I have codirected one PhD thesis and two degree dissertations.
- Present: Associate researcher of GEOLAB-IGIC looking for a postdoc opportunity.
- 2014 – 2016: Postdoctoral researcher, GEOLAB, Université Blaise Pascal (Clermont Ferrand, France).
- 2013 – 2014: Laboratory technician, Universitat Politècnica de Valencia (Spain).
- 2008 – 2012: Predoctoral researcher “FPI”, Universitat Politècnica de Valencia (Spain).
- 2006 – 2008: Master studies (DEA), Universitat Politècnica de Valencia (Spain).
- 1999 – 2005: Environmental Sciences, University of Granada (Spain).
Referee activities (Publons profile)
- Ecological Indicators
- River Research and Applications
- International Journal of River Basin Management